“When I lost my niece in a head-on collision caused by a drunk driver who was driving a prison van on work release, I knew who I would call for help. Tom Tuohy was on a plane the next day to Lincoln, Nebraska, to comfort my family. Within 24 hours, Tom assembled a team of the best lawyers from Nebraska and Chicago and filed a wrongful death lawsuit to help bring justice to my family and financial security for my niece’s children. I will never get my niece back, but I will always be thankful that her children were provided for in a record settlement and a discontinuation of the State of Nebraska prison release program that helped cause her death. Tom Tuohy is a great friend to my entire family and me, and as a lawyer myself, Tom is the lawyer I trust to be there no matter what and to deliver the best result. “ -Dale Tobias.
I began my career representing individuals injured in accidents and malpractice, as well as families who lost loved ones because of negligent acts. To be with clients and their families during this most difficult and often heartbreaking time of loss and to guide them toward recovery was humbling. The experience reminded me that a sudden event can change everything for a person and their family. It also defined my approach as a lawyer who takes every case personally and welcomes every client as a friend and a counselor.
As I expanded my practice into estate planning in the 1990s, I gathered a network of the most highly-rated litigators who believed in my approach and fought for their clients as they would their families.
The attorneys affiliated with Tuohy Law Offices are nationally recognized and have obtained record verdicts on behalf of their clients experienced in various cases, such as catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, nursing home negligence and abuse, product liability, defective pharmaceuticals, and motor vehicle negligence.
I am honored to hear from clients soon after a catastrophic event and am grateful for their trust. No lawyer works on a case alone. We rely on peers, partners, staff, mentors, and advisors to deliver the best result. When I accept your case, I accept the responsibility for your outcome and work closely with attorneys who will give you the best opportunity to review what you have lost.
If you have suffered injuries or damages or represent a family member whom someone’s negligence has seriously injured, please get in touch with me by phone at (312) 559-8400, via 24/7 chat on this website, or 24/7 responsive email.
Types of Personal Injury Accidents
Personal injury lawyers represent victims injured in all types of occurrences, including car accidents, truck accidents, motorcycle and bicycle accidents, pedestrian accidents, slip and fall accidents, construction accidents, boating accidents, aviation disasters, and accidents caused by defective products. Wrongful death attorneys represent surviving family members of those killed in fatal accidents. To read more about personal injury laws and terms, please visit the Personal Injury section of Wikipedia.
Research and Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer in Chicago
Finding the best law firm can be a challenging task because there are a large number of personal injury firms. It is important to select a personal injury lawyer very carefully and to know the lawyer’s experience and standing in the profession and among past clients.
Carefully Choose a Personal Injury Attorney: How to Hire a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
If you are looking for a personal injury attorney, the steps below provide a guideline to find the right lawyer.
Before you hire a personal injury lawyer, it is very important to consider the factors below:
Treatment and Dedication
- For decades, the #1 complaint against attorneys is not returning client calls. Don’t let this happen to you.
- Your attorney and law firm staff should return your phone calls promptly.
- Trust your instincts when you meet an attorney for the first time.
- You should always feel comfortable asking questions. If you constantly feel rushed when you begin to speak or are made to feel that your questions are unimportant, you should consider hiring a different lawyer.
- You should also understand the attorney’s fee and insist on a written contingency arrangement – you only pay a percentage of the recovery if the case is successful. You do not pay for fees if there is no recovery. Review the written attorney retainer agreement and always ask for explanations if you do not understand anything.
- Your attorney should look for ways to handle your case most cost-effectively. The overall quality of work on your behalf should never be compromised.
Knowledge and Experience
- Research the experience of a prospective personal injury lawyer
- Request information regarding verdicts and settlements
- Research the number of years in practice for the attorney handling your case
- Assess the attorney’s work in the community. Ask friends and family about the prospective lawyer.
- Use online resources for research.
- Interview the attorney in a free, no-obligation consultation.
- Ask how case expenses are handled and how those expenses are paid after the case.
- Beware of any attorney who tells you what your case is worth during your initial consultation or guarantees a settlement. There are no guarantees, and an attorney cannot know the value of your case until it is thoroughly investigated and until you have reached maximum recovery.
- Ask how long similar cases take in the system and how you will be informed of the progress, whether it be through email, personal meetings, or phone conversations.
- Understand that each case is unique; however, the time to resolve a case successfully increases once a lawsuit is filed.
Feel free to contact me anytime with questions, concerns, and further advice regarding your personal injury case.